REAL FOOD EATING: An ELPC Workshop Series
Most people want to eat "better," but what exactly does that mean? There is so much confusion about which diet is the right one, let alone how we can squeeze in the time to make it happen, or afford other options.
In this series, I will walk you through some of the challenges we face in trying to improve the quality of food we are feeding ourselves and our families. I will give you down-to-earth solutions to everyday problems, for folks who don't have personal chefs and sometimes eat a bag of chips for dinner while running errands.
I have more than 20 years experience with personal food-related health challenges and can coach you through what it really takes to eat real food, and how improve your own health through changing your diet. From tips to overcoming cravings, to how to prevent food spoilage and waste, I can get you on track and give you the tools to help yourself when you're in danger of falling off the wagon.
- Intention Setting: Talking through what various diets mean, how to choose what is the best fit for you, how to set & keep goals, and getting from here to there. We'll create vision boards in this first session and talk about accountability and why it matters.
- Meal Planning & Meal Flops: How to use meal planning to help with food goals and budget, and what to do when the casserole tastes like cardboard and the baby is crying instead of ordering take-out. Real solutions to real problems we all face at dinner (and lunch and breakfast) time, and how to overcome them.
- Beyond the Supermarket: Learn about buying in bulk, cooperative "Buying Clubs", farmer's markets and other creative strategies for getting fresh and delicious food on your plate while saving money.
- Where Does Meat Come From? Learn the questions to ask when buying a meat share from a farmer, and how to decipher the lingo, and how to talk to the butcher.
- Subtracting Additives: Learn to read labels, and make your own boxed mixes at home without preservatives, artificial flavors, MSG, food dyes, and other fillers. Take home a handout with my own original recipes for pantry staples.
- Dairy Differences & Egg-u-cation: Learn the differences in raw, pasteurized, homogenized, and goat vs. cow, and why breeds matter. Know the questions to ask and what to look for when buying raw, as well as storage and usage tips. We'll also discuss eggs, and why yolks turn different colors and how poultry nutrition translates to eggs.
- Eating is Hard: Food allergies, picky eaters, special needs, and other challenges? I'll offer tried & true creative solutions to address special challenges when trying to change your diet. Plus, how to fit in when everyone else is having cupcakes.
- Food Waste & Budgeting for Food: Learn how to keep every last bit of food from going to waste, how to create and stretch your budget while still eating high-quality food. You'll go home with a comprehensive print-out with solutions for everyday food waste problems.
- Flavor-Blasted: How to get your meals at home to taste as good (or better) as junk-food snacks, and restaurant meals. Easy tips to take your meals from bland to delicious.
- Belly-Friendly Fast Food: Lunchboxes, travel, kitchen remodel, power outage, busy days with soccer games, unexpected overnights.... Solutions to keep you from resorting to drive-thrus and gas station junk food.
- Eating Seasonally & Locally: How to do it, and why it matters.
- The Wagon- Falling Off & Climbing On: Revisiting your biggest successes and challenges- a group conversation and my ideas for getting you back on track.
All workshops are held at 611 E 82nd St Tacoma 98404 in the dining room.
Registering for all 12 in the series gives you a $30 price break- it's like getting 2 workshops for free!
All proceeds go to Eat Local Pierce County. Learn more here: www.eatlocalpiercecounty.com
If you cannot afford to attend, please email email@example.com to inquire about scholarship spots.
We have one scholarship spot per session available.
Please bring pen & paper for note-taking. There may be gluten & nut-free refreshments served, or samples of food items at some sessions.
Dates & Times TBD. Inventory is set at zero until we set a schedule. Please check back soon!